Bucktown and Wicker Park residents alarmed by Spike in carjackings – NBC Chicago
A number of car hijackings were reported in Chicago’s Bucktown and Wicker Park neighborhoods for a week this month, sparking concern among residents and business leaders.
Eight carjackings took place between Sept. 13 and Sept. 20, including four over a four-hour period overnight, according to a community alert issued by Chicago police.
Don Clements, the manager of the Italian restaurant Club Lucky in Wicker Park, said he was concerned for both himself and his staff.
“Nobody wants something bad to happen to them, do they?” he said.
Phil Higgins, who lives nearby, explained that he was fed up with feeling unsafe and uncomfortable.
“If you’re not prepared or mentally there I mean they’re willing to do whatever they need to make a quick buck, cell phone, car, whatever,” he said. -he declares.
The Chicago Police Department said its officers are patrolling the area, closely monitoring residential streets where people are being targeted.
Authorities said that in all eight incidents, the suspects arrived in a vehicle, pointed a handgun at the victim, stole their items and left in their vehicles.
In some of the incidents, violators requested PIN codes on phones and debit cards.
Clements, the manager of Club Lucky, advised people to be aware of their surroundings.
“Keep your head on a pivot,” he said. “Get out your cell phone. Try not to go in dark places. Try to walk in pairs if you can.”
A special meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday where city councilors, Chicago police and others will discuss recent incidents and provide prevention tips.
The full list of recent carjackings is below:
- Sept. 13 – 8:03 p.m. – Bloc 1900 de North Honoré
- Sep 13 – 8:15 p.m. – Bloc 1900 de West Wabansia
- September 13 – 8:57 p.m. – Block 2100 de West Moffat
- Sep 13 – 10:40 p.m. – 1700 blocks from West Le Moyne
- Sep 19 – 9:33 p.m. – 1700 boulders from North Honoré
- September 20 – 10:35 p.m. – 1700 boulders North Wolcott
- September 20 – 1:20 a.m. – 1:37 a.m. – Block 1500 of North Paulina
- September 20 – 1:54 a.m. – 1600 block of North Winchester