Mobile Emergency Response Worker – Sault Ste. News Mary
1. Respond in the community to interview clients individually, as a family, or in groups to determine and assess the client’s social, financial, psychological, cultural, and family situation and total needs to provide a comprehensive assessment and plan treatment. Transmit results to the appropriate referral source, if desired by the client.
2. Provide counseling to help clients develop skills to manage and resolve social and personal issues.
3. Involves carrying a cell phone as required and responding promptly and maintaining continuous communication with crisis headquarters while on call.
4. Be part of interdisciplinary teams of professionals working with groups of clients.
5. Provide consultation to hospital staff, community organizations and other individuals or groups seeking advice in order to resolve client issues.
6. Participate in in-service programs regarding the social and emotional components of health/disease and their effects on patients and families, as assigned.
7. Maintain accurate client records and statistical reports, as well as appropriate documentation, journal entries and tracking as required by the program.
8. Develop and maintain good working relationships with other hospital and medical staff while remaining an advocate for clients and with community health, welfare and social agencies.
9. Knowledge of best practices and benchmarks for service delivery, appropriate research, literature, accreditation requirements, policy and legislative requirements, and implementation of improvements/changes as appropriate.
10. Comply with organizational policies, procedures and standards.
11. Participate in continuing education sessions and team meetings.
12. Attend on-site at the HSA for relevant orientation or continuing education as required.
13. Maintain confidentiality of all information.
14. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
PERSONNEL AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
1. Degree in social services or equivalent training in a health-related field
2. Formal training in the assessment of children and adults with mental health problems
3. One year of experience in a related field
4. Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
1. Job-specific knowledge, crisis response assessment and referral functions, Ontario Disability Support Program, Ontario Works, community resources, principles and practice of psychosocial rehabilitation, psychoeducation and recovery, unique developmental issues of young adult clients and their families.
2. Knowledge of evidence-based treatment modalities.
3. Knowledge of the Mental Health Act, Suicide Intervention.
4. Work under pressure and use good judgment to assess difficult situations.
5. Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment in stressful situations.
6. Customer service, interpersonal and telephone skills.
7. Computer skills in a Microsoft environment.
8. Ability to maintain productive working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes.
9. Ability to organize time effectively to perform job duties.
10. Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
11. Ability to organize meetings and interact with people through online video conferencing programs and equipment
12. People skills, including empathy, sensitivity, understanding human and organizational behavior, motivational techniques, and counseling skills (eg teaching patients).
13. Ability to read, write and communicate to perform job duties.
14. Behavior Consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Performance Standards
*Must be available for all shifts and calls.
Note: Due to the changing nature of the job and the work to be performed, other responsibilities and duties may be assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from time to time. Only those selected for testing/interviews will be contacted.
APPLY: Online http://www.sah.on.ca/careers/career-opportunities
The Sault Area Hospital is a respectful, caring and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity, equal opportunity and maintaining a barrier-free selection process for applicants. Accommodation requests can be made at any stage of the recruitment process provided the candidate has met the requirements of the vacancy. Applicants should make their requirements known to the Human Resources department when contacted. All inquiries are treated confidentially.